Summary: Audio commentary by @TheAngryindian; philosophical grounding culled (largely) from >> Erich Fromm’s ‘Escape from Freedom’ – Wikipedia – Fromm’s concept of freedom // Fromm distinguishes between ‘freedom from’ (negative freedom) and ‘freedom to’ (positive freedom). The former refers to emancipation from restrictions such as social conventions placed on individuals by other people or institutions. This is the kind of freedom typified by the existentialism of Sartre, and has often been fought for historically, but according to Fromm, on its own it can be a destructive force unless accompanied by a creative element, ‘freedom to’ the use of freedom to employ spontaneously the total integrated personality in creative acts. This, he argues, necessarily implies a true connectedness with others that goes beyond the superficial bonds of conventional social intercourse: “…in the spontaneous realization of the self, man unites himself anew with the world…”
In the process of becoming freed from authority, we are often left with feelings of hopelessness (he likens this process to the individuation of infants in the normal course of child development) that will not abate until we use our ‘freedom to’ and develop some form of replacement of the old order. However, a common substitute for exercising “freedom to” or authenticity is to submit to an authoritarian system that replaces the old order with another of different external appearance but identical function for the individual: to eliminate uncertainty by prescribing what to think and how to act. Fromm characterises this as a dialectic historical process whereby the original situation is the thesis and the emancipation from it the antithesis. The synthesis is only reached when something has replaced the original order and provided humans with a new security. Fromm does not indicate that the new system will necessarily be an improvement. In fact, Fromm indicates this will only break the never-ending cycle of negative freedom that society submits to.
EXTRAS: Socially-conscious PSA’s; ‘Reality Check’ the lastest release from conscious American rap-artist Maurion AKA Phenomenon (@MaurionGates) and audio of an in-depth Dutch television investigation into the Trump Family’s financial ties to the Netherlands and certain Russian and Ukrainian criminal organisations operation in Europe and the United States finish out this IRB programme.
- Black Superheroes Are Now More Popular Than Ever
- Anti-Choice Activists, Using Bogus Legal Threats, Trick Teens Into Signing Away Abortion Rights – Rewire
- 5 must-read debunks of the junk science abortion reversal scam
- Debunked: Agenda 21, ICLEI, Sovereignty, UN, Depopulation | Metabunk
- Meet Toveet Radcliffe, The 1st Black Woman to Die in the Israeli Military – EBONY
- ‘Who Was I to Stop the Killing?’ Moral Neutralization among Rwandan Genocide Perpetrators | Anderson | Journal of Perpetrator Research
- The NRA donated $10,000 to help train the Parkland shooting suspect to use a rifle – ThinkProgress
- Trump Lashes Out in Angry Tweetstorm After DOJ Indicts Russians for Election Meddling | Democracy Now!
- KFC to Honor Oprah’s Free Chicken Coupons – ABC News