Where Roosevelt and Wilson inflicted the brunt of their violence on the peoples of Asia and on the “coloured” populations of their own nation, their modern heirs have in recent years directed their own state violence overwhelmingly against the peoples and nations of the Middle East.
The neoconservative hawks who were the architects of Iraq‘s destruction – apparently unfazed by their ghoulish record in this regard – have in recent years set their sights on the nation of Iran as their next target. To this end, crippling sanctions – designed to literally “take the food out of the Iranian peoples’ mouths” – have been implemented in an effort to inflict maximum suffering on the civilian population and to generate favourable conditions for another war. Disregard for the basic humanity of the many Iranians who will die in the course of such policies is a necessary accomplice to this project.
However, in recent weeks it would seem that a major setback has occurred to the neoconservative plan for another US war. A new Iranian government – conciliatory in its tone where its predecessor was shamelessly provocative – has come to power with the stated intention of reaching peaceful detente with the United States. Such a development necessarily makes the possibility of war more remote, and, to the chagrin of the neoconservatives, these overtures appear to have been cautiously welcomed by the administration of President Barack Obama.
With their prized new war seemingly snatched from their grasp, it has been remarkable to watch the vast tantrum of anger and indignation among some hawks, in which the same racist beliefs which characterised past imperialism have bubbled back to the surface with remarkable speed.
From warnings to “beware of Persian snake charmers“, to allegations that for Iranians “deception is part of their DNA“, the prospect of a peaceful detente with Iran has brought out a seemingly inexhaustible cavalcade of frankly racist rhetoric.
- France condemns US for spying on its citizens – Europe – Al Jazeera English (aboriginalpress.wordpress.com)
- GCC backs Saudi Arabia rejection of UN seat – Middle East – Al Jazeera English (aboriginalpress.wordpress.com)
- How Racism Drives the Zeal to Destroy Iran and Maintain Global Hegemony (alternet.org)
- India arrests US ship crew over weapons – Central & South Asia – Al Jazeera English (aboriginalpress.wordpress.com)
- How Racism Drives the Zeal to Destroy Iran and Maintain Global Hegemony (lunaticoutpost.com)
- Blackwater faces new charges in Iraq killings – Americas – Al Jazeera English (terrafirmausa.wordpress.com)