Michael Ben-Ari, a former member of Israel’s parliament, the Knesset, calls for martial law to prevent “ten million Chinese, five million Indians and twenty million Africans” from entering the country and turning Israel from a “Jewish state” to a “multi-national state.” Little children chant: “The people demand the expulsion of the Sudanese!” to the delight of their adult guardians.But what stands out for me as the most revealing episode of the evening is my interview with a twenty-year-old Israeli soldier in civilian attire who says that he is afraid of being attacked when he walks around the neighborhood, even when he is armed with an assault rifle. When I asked what had happened to him to have aroused such intense fears, he told me that the anxiety took hold when he observed non-Jewish African people smoking and cooking outdoors on Yom Kippur, a day when these behaviors are forbidden to Jewish people.It is difficult to imagine that there might be a single Jewish person anywhere in the world outside of Israel who stepped out of a synagogue on Yom Kippur, saw a non-Jewish person taking a drag on a cigarette or flipping a burger on a barbecue grill, and suddenly became afraid for his or her life.
- charm school in tel aviv (niqnaq.wordpress.com)
- Fanning the Flames of Israeli Racism … Video (desertpeace.wordpress.com)
- On Ari Lesser’s song – Boycott Israel (palestineisraelmonitor.wordpress.com)
- Christians pray in Jerusalem for Israel and the Jews (timesofisrael.com)
- Zionism is always racism, always: from Electronic Intifada (angryarab.net)
- Twenty years on, Palestinians refuse to be defeated by Oslo | The Electronic Intifada (aboriginalpress.wordpress.com)
- Zionism is always racism, always: from Electronic Intifada (angryarab.blogspot.com)