The New Confederacy, as churlish toward President Obama as the Old Confederacy was to Lincoln, has accomplished what its predecessor could not: It has shut down the federal government, and without even firing a weapon or taking 620,000 lives, as did the Old Confederacy’s instigated Civil War.Not stopping there, however, the New Confederacy aims to destroy the full faith and credit of the United States, setting off economic calamity at home and abroad — all in the name of “fiscal sanity.”Its members are as extreme as their ideological forebears. It matters not to them, as it didn’t to the Old Confederacy, whether they ultimately go down in flames. So what? For the moment, they are getting what they want: a federal government in the ditch, restrained from seeking to create a more humane society that extends justice for all.The ghosts of the Old Confederacy have to be envious.South Carolina wept and wailed as it withdrew from the Union, citing the Supreme Court’s 1857 Dred Scott decision when it noted that states in the North had elevated to citizenship “persons who, by the supreme law of the land, are incapable of becoming citizens; and their votes have been used to inaugurate a new policy, hostile to the South, and destructive of its beliefs and safety.”Not to worry, Old South, the New Confederacy’s spirit is on the move.In June, the Supreme Court got rid of fundamental legal protections against racial discrimination in voting.
- Colbert King: The modern GOP is the New Confederacy (blogforarizona.com)
- Must-read op of the day: Colbert King on “The Rise of the New Confederacy” (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Colbert I. King of the Washington Post Asks, “Is There a New Confederacy Afoot?” (blackchristiannews.com)
- Is a New Confederacy Rising? (theroot.com)
- Jesse Jackson: ‘Tea Party Is Resurrection of the Confederacy’ (nationalreview.com)